To find a specified number of characters from the right end of the source string
- text - the string that contains the characters to extract
- num_chars - [OPTIONAL] the number of characters to extract, starting from the right side of the text
For A2="Sale Price", returns the last 5 characters of the string "Sale Price", which is "Price".
For A3="Stock Number", returns the last character of the string "Stock Number", which is "r".
The RIGHT function in Sourcetable extracts characters from a supplied text string, starting from the right side of the string.
- The second argument of RIGHT is num_chars, an optional argument that tells RIGHT how many characters to extract.
- Note that RIGHT extracts 1 character if num_chars is not provided.
- Note that RIGHT extracts the full string if num_chars is bigger than the string length.
- Combining RIGHT with other functions like LEN and FIND allows for more complex text extraction.
- The most similar functions to the RIGHT function are LEFT and MID.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the RIGHT function do?
The RIGHT function returns the number of characters from the right side of the string.
How does the RIGHT function work?
The RIGHT function extracts characters from the right side of a string. The number of characters returned by the RIGHT function depends on the number of characters specified in the formula.
Does the RIGHT function work on digits?
The RIGHT function does work on digits and works the same way on digits as on text.
Should the RIGHT function be used on digits?
The RIGHT function should not be used on digits, even though it does work on digits.
How does the RIGHT function work on digits?
The RIGHT function works the same way on digits as on text. It extracts characters from the right side of the string of digits.
What happens if digits are formatted as text?
The RIGHT function returns wrong values if digits are formatted as text.
Can the RIGHT function be nested in a VALUE function?
Yes. The RIGHT function nested in a VALUE function returns a number from a string of numbers.